Wednesday 30 October 2013

HYPER ON EXPERIENCE Interview for Strictly NuSkool Blog



It is a great privilege and an honour to be able to introduce to our blog, one half of legendary old skool duo, Hyper On Experience, 
Mr Alex Banks..



Whats the first and most memorable thing that springs to mind to you about being part of HOE?

Setting up a live set on stage in the pitch black with a strobe running while a fat useless soundman tries to run a line level into a mic input.


About 5 months ago, you set up your official facebook page, after such a long time, we’re interested to know what inspired you to do this? Indeed there has been many enjoyable anecdotes and stories from you on this great page, would you ever consider taking this further? 

I did a search for "Hyper-On Experience" and there was not a lot of info out there.  People seemed to think we live in Bristol. 
I thought I'd set the record straight by starting a Facebook page.  I'm not sure how far I can take it as there are only so many stories...


We know you also have a soundcloud page  but would you ever consider doing some live P.As again or maybe a remix project or even some new HOE material?

Live PA is very possible,  and I think it would be fun.  There is a massive problem:  we don't have the samples. 
Originating new Hyper-On tracks is a cool idea and could be hooked up to a new release to promote the live thing (if I ever did it).


Most of us associate HOE with Moving Shadow Records, how did this relationship come about?

Me and Danny had been making loads of tunes,  but not sending them out.  Jay (the other EZ Roller) bullied us into sending a demo tape to Rob Playford at Moving Shadow.  Rob loved our stuff and asked us to pop down to Stevenage to see him.  Danny and I went to see Rob and the meeting went well.  Rob was very positive and confident in his promotion ideas and this attracted us to him.  


Tell us 5 artists from the old skool era that you rate to this day, and who have been major influences for HOE?

1,  Grandmaster Flash
2,  Depth Charge
3,  Marshal Jeferson
4,  N-Joi
5,  Rhythm Section


What made you guys bring HOE to a halt in the end?

EZ Rollers.  Plus,  Hyper-On was starting to become Drum and Bass.  Our style was an exploration of the possibilities of sound at that time,  but what was emerging was a more steady Drum and Bass sound (Jungle Techno).  We had helped define an era in UK dance sound and that era had passed.  I think ending it at that time was the right idea...


We’re not sure if you aware of this but since the 00’s, there has been something of a revival of the oldskool sound, sometimes refered to as NuSkool, Hardcore Breaks, Rave Breaks & Future Jungle,have you noticed much from this very underground genre and if so, is there anyone you particularly rate and why?

I did hear some old school sounding stuff from time to time,  but what I heard was well produced hardcore and not early rave.  I feel there is a big difference from emulating old school and originating old school.  At the time there was no direction,  we made it up as we went along.  Now,  you need to follow a formula to be classed as old school. This is a big difference.
Also,  I must stress,  as a musician I constantly look to progress my sound.  Hard Core,  Rave,  Old School - whatever you want to call it,  has happened.  It was one step in my musical journey.  When I look over my shoulder I can see right back to early Electro,  Hip-Hop,  Chicago House,  Acid House,  Rave,  Drum and Bass,  and every genre that followed.  I have walked in line with all these styles. 


Further to the last question, do you think there is a future for a scene like the aforementioned and is there anyone you can cite as being potential leaders of this scene?

I'm not sure.  There is a problem regarding a revival in old school rave:  there is only a finite amount of it.  Just like an 80s night,  you know what you're gonna hear before you turn up.  But,  just like 80s music,  there will always be old school influences in modern music.


Do you have any future plans musically inside and outside of HOE?

Fuck yea! Right now I run a recording studio.  This is brilliant,  and gives me new challenges all the time. I'm making music with a great singer called Ella Sopp. Its dance with live instruments,  as well as other things. I lecture nationally for Access to Music.




HYPER ON EXPERIENCE

www.facebook.com/HyperOnExperience

www.soundcloud.com/hyper-on-experience


2 comments:

  1. What a lovely interview. Well done SNS Blog!

    Each of Mr. Bank's responses stand out! Like:

    "I feel there is a big difference from emulating old school and originating old school. At the time there was no direction, we made it up as we went along. Now, you need to follow a formula to be classed as old school."

    Or this:

    "There is a problem regarding a revival in old school rave: there is only a finite amount of it. Just like an 80s night, you know what you're gonna hear before you turn up."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview!! great insight!! inspiring.

    Personally I don't see it as a revival. "Oldschool" rave has never died for me, so it can't be revived.

    I feel it's just being refreshed, re-branded. I feel it's good to have a positive connection with our past, while giving the new heads something fresh.

    There's a difference between rehashing old samples for the sake of it and creating positive dance music in the spirit of the late 80s early 90s.

    There's a lot of tripe in the EDM umbrella and I think it's pretty telling that people are still latching on to the high-energy synths, piano riffs, breaks, and pitchy vox of 20+ years ago.

    I don't see it as a problem, I see it as a breath of hope.

    I understand the parallel to an 80s night, but some people didn't live in the 80s. They missed it, and it was great.

    Music is very cyclical, full of troughs and peaks.

    Hardcore will never die.

    ReplyDelete